Thursday, September 4, 2014

Attending shows

I did my first show in 10 years (maybe more) this past weekend. I am still feeling exhausted from it all. Much of the time is spent standing there and waiting for someone to walk by and maybe stop to take a look. I am always ready with a smile and a hello. I introduce myself and ask them if they have any questions about my work. I try to appear approachable and pleasant.

Eden and I at my display
After a full day of talking loudly to be heard over the music from a nearby DJ, I would be a total liar if I did not say I was exhausted, hoarse and dispirited. The venue was certainly interesting and there were some fabulous items for sale right near me. But no one really stopped. No one asked questions. A quick glance and move on. I ended up chatting to the artists on either side of me who did wonderful, creative and astonishingly interesting works. To me anyway. They also did not have many people stop. A quick glance is all we got. Seems like all the action was outside the hall we were in, and we could not really leave our stalls to go look. Well- I could not as I did not have back up, and at the back of your mind you keep thinking that the next person may stop and purchase something and what if you are not there?
I had esty seller "Surly Bunny" on one side. Check out her neat stuff: https://www.etsy.com/shop/surlybunny?page=1
Eden is getting a unicorn mask, though I may borrow it !
The other talented lady is also on etsy with "Teddies by Design": https://www.etsy.com/shop/TeddiesbyDesign

I loved the cart I had to display my work on. The lady who organized the event is an energetic and awesome person. She directed people to us, had us show our work on the stage and did a "prettiest bear" competition to draw people's attention to us. I got placed too!

My little girl bear that got placed in the in house competition

Then there is the one thing you cannot control with the show crowd that crops up. Someone's budget. Perceived value can be talked up and explained and I know what goes into making a bear. I explained, got a smile and a nod and they moved on. People were taking a business card and looking. I ended up exhausted with no sales. I think most people came by to support a fundraising event, not purchase art, designer bears or craft. I did get comments on how 'nice' my work was. I really do not like that word. "Nice". yuk. But I am glad I got some attention and great feedback. Making me rethink some of the things I make. What a great way to find out more about your target market! I do appreciate that. Another lady there sold fabric handmade bears and she seemed to be doing well. Her price point was right and people truly loved what she made. Her workmanship was superb.

I left the show having made 2 new wonderful friends from the ladies of the booths next door to me, found out about a bear makers guild in Plano, Texas and a realization that next time I need to do better homework on a show. I did end up supporting a great cause raising money for homeless children. I am glad I did that. I went in with no expectations which is good in this case. I would suggest attending a show before you just signup to sell. Go see who comes by, what there is to purchase and price points, will your work be a good fit and what the show organizers offer so you know what to bring. Shows, for me, are about making contacts, getting direct feedback from potential customers and getting people to see you in person and touch what you make. And maybe make a few sales. Nothing beats that affirmation in your skill such as someone paying you for something you made. I learnt a great deal this weekend and I am glad I went. Still exhausted : ) but knowing a lot more about myself and where I want to take my craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment