Monday, September 9, 2013

Back to school has started! Homework is still an issue with the little one so I have been taking time out to work with her. I have also been helping our new teacher as much as I can in getting the class ready. Our theme this year is nautical based and the class is looking awesome. There are some wonderful ideas!

I have been developing a new pattern that I am finally ready to say I like and is a go! I wanted to make a smallish bear that has a youthful little girl face. I try to give my bears character and the nose has always been super important. Normally I have a longer nose as a more realistic bear would have- what happens when you shorten the nose on the pattern?  I also like to dress my bears and what little girl does not like to dress up ?
 
Her fur is unusual- it has been woven from bamboo. It is super soft and silky and has that lovely reddish fox like glow with a white tip. I kept her nose small, needle felted and went for a brown instead of my usual black. Her eyes are glass which I am starting to like more and more. I agree with others that work with glass eyes- there is a life to them that other materials cannot always get right. Again, it is a personal thing and I still use the black button eyes that are plastic.

A range of animal cushions and toys I am currently designing, that are based on a ball shape, are also starting to work out for me. The owl turned out nice but small. My monster is still camera shy but I hope by the end of this week he will allow a photo to be taken. His needle sculpted feet need work. Or surgery as E says : )

 
A lot of pattern designing and testing is underway but I really need a new camera. I am not happy with the photos posted lately. I need to change the bulbs in my photography light fixtures and I need a camera that allows me more freedom to choose how to handle the light I am working with. My photos seem out of focus and the colors are not good. They still seems dark to me. Thank heavens Texas has a lot of sun so I can photograph outside if all else fails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment