Thursday, July 24, 2014

More on Artist Bear Selling

I work in a variety of fabrics. When I make a test bear I will work in something like calico. It helps me to see if the pattern is even on all sides and if a shape may be hard to sew. I have only recently started to use Mohair or Alpaca. It is so expensive and the gold standard is Schulte mohair. Developed in Germany since 1901. It can run for $300 a yard. I purchase my mohair from Intercal Trading in California.
http://www.intercaltg.com/

I also love to use good quality polyester faux fur or Tissavel woven back faux fur. The woven back is stronger so allows for the needle felting of a bear face without worrying about what the sharp barbs on the needle is doing to the fabric backing. I purchase most of my faux fur from these places:
www.fabric.com
http://www.fabricempire.com/
 These places stipulate a minimum of a yard but the prices are excellent.  I also use polyfill premium fiber fill for stuffing the body. I like to use the Morning Glory Fiberfill for the head as it can be packed in a lot tighter than other brands. It is also great to needle felt on as it does not pull through and being not so silky as the other brand I use it grabs the wool better.
The needles and wool I use to felt with I purchase from:
http://weirdollsandcrafts.com/
http://livingfelt.com/

Other things I use to make a bear are felt, ultrasuede or other fabrics for paw pads, all kinds of threads, jointing parts, clothing fabrics, nose thread or wool, ribbons and sew in tags.
That is just the bear making part! The business part adds a whole lot more to be considered.
I mostly purchase my bear making supplies such as eyes and joints from Intercal Trading or from CRS Crafts www.crscrafts.com.

Other things required for a business are a computer, internet access, a printer, and good lighting (Ott lights are great for a daylight type light). A good camera is essential for record keeping and for online listing.  I take many photos of my bears as you never know when you want to make another one similar or a customer requests one. Without my notes and photos I would be lost as to what fabric I used, when I made it, what pattern variation I was on and what finishing details I used.
I also make hang tags for my bears as well as sew in tags. I design and make them by hand. I sell my bears online so there is a listing fee, a selling fee and a transaction fee before I even get any money out of the sale of a bear.

Other costs to consider are packaging and shipping supplies. Boxes, tissue paper for wrapping, ribbons, tape, labels, cellophane bags and special boxes also add to the costs incurred in the selling of a bear. Another way I sell bears is at an occasional show. To sell at a show you have to rent a both, and get there with good stock, and if it is out of town you will be incurring hotel fees and shipping costs to get your items there. There are also advertising fees, brochures, and business cards. Let us not forget the telephone...

When all of these things are considered, most collectors of bears will realize that when a bear that is One of a Kind or Artist Made, that there is a lot more to the bear's price that has to be considered. The price of a bear reflects many aspects of the running of the business as well as the art of making a bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment