Monday, September 24, 2012

Pirate mouse minus his bandana! He is as finished as I am going to get on him. E has already adopted him : )
He is way too tough for me to want to make 18 of these little guys. I used tiny safety joints as we have young kids at the party. The smaller they are the harder they are to assemble.
 
Step seven: Making a hole for the joints. I use a sharp awl and then put a spot of fray check on the hole to make sure it can handle some rough play and not stretch open. Nothing like an arm falling off to ruin your day!

 Step eight: All the joints are in place in the head, arms and legs. The white dots are where they come through the fur to go into the body. They were hard to place being so small. I like to finish the head totally before I do the rest of the body. To me the head is the first thing that will attract you to a creation and if it is not right it is not worth moving forward just to finish something.
 
 
Step nine: The body has been assembled, stuffed and finished. The little nose is needle felted on. I like using corriedale wool from Weir dolls and crafts. The wool is USA in source and quite lovely in color and texture. We added whiskers and he is done.
 
 
As I have already said. This is way too much fiddly work to want to make 18 of these. If all the kids come to the party that E wants to invite- we will be at 24 of them. I think a simpler mouse with no joints might be in order.
 
I found a lovely coloring in page of a pirates treasure chest so I plan to use that on the outside of the invitation. At least I have plenty of time for this. Right- on to design and make a pattern for the next pirate mouse attempt.
 
We settled on a cake- a sunken ship with a mermaid and treasure chest by it. I hope fondant sculpts as easy as Fimo clay...

No comments:

Post a Comment