Thursday, May 1, 2014

Padding the body of the tooth fairy is easy. Having used the aluminum wire and not a sculpted body- I can keep the arms and legs relatively straight and after wrapping them I can then bend them to shape. I start wrapping the wire armature with quilters batting. I used a thin batting cut into 1 or 1/2 inch wide strips and about 10 inches long. I stopped at the hand joint- the wrist, and the ankle. For the tummy I took polyester fiber filling and balled it up into an oval shape. I glued that to the batting that was on the tummy and then wrapped over that again to create a smooth shape. You can hot glue the batting to make sure it does not unravel or you can stitch it. Preference prevails here : )

Body wrapped in quilters batting
 
 
I did not wrap the ankles or wrist as I wanted the first layer of his raggedy clothing to do that, and did not want the transition to be too bulky. I used cheesecloth that I dyed in tea. It gave it a lovely creamy color. Again I cut the cheesecloth fabric into bandage sized strips- about 2 inches wide by 15 inches long. I started wrapping from the hand where I wanted the fabric to hang over his hand, and wrapped to the shoulder, securing it there. You can use hot glue or stitch it. I covered both arms and legs like this. The body has also been wrapped in cheesecloth and helps hide a lot of the gluing.  I dyed more cheesecloth in coffee- a slightly darker color and hard to see in the photos. I used this to wrap his feet as the start of his shoes.
 

Tea dyed cheesecloth wrapped on body and covering all the batting and start of shoes in place


The cheesecloth gives great texture and makes a great base for the clothing. It dyes easy and does not need a lot of die. I have a tie dye kit that uses powder dye- A small amount of powder dyes a lot of cheesecloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment